Forums > General > Ooc Non Wow > Eso Elder Scrolls... > ESO Starter Tips ...

ESO Starter Tips & Tricks (Sticky)

Topic List
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Officer
Lucette
Officer Emeritus

Just saw this article, some really good info for getting started in ESO on Launch day :)

http://tamrieljournal.com/eso-tips-and-tricks/#more-1339

Edited by: Anonymous on 05/29/2014 - 03:00 Reason: Topic automatically locked
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

Thanks Lucette!  I've seen this list (or one much like it) being bandied about lots of places.  A couple of things I didn't note on the list--

1.  Visit at least the Mage guild when you get out of the tutorial, even if you go back to the starter island, so that books that you read there "count".

2.  Don't try to do more than 1 or maybe 2 craft skills on a single character...you will run out of bag slots.

And one I'm going to try to follow: don't look at all those handy "where to find skyshard" maps.  I want to play the game myself, I don't want to follow someone else's playthrough.  )

See you there tomorrow.

Officer
Lucette
Officer Emeritus

I'll probably use a skyshard map, but only to pick things up that I wasn't able to find on my own once I've finished an area.  Seeing the big pillar of light  & getting all excited about finding one while questing about is way too fun.

From my limited time with it & some of the reviews & such I've read/watched the PVE experience in this game is best when you take time & enjoy the story & environment instead of just trying to grind through everything as fast as possible. Which I think is why Inomi is so hooked :)

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

I am a BIG play it through as I find it fan. Like, took two years to hit endgame in wow because I was enjoying questing so much.

Looking forward to booking up with everyone tomorrow. (3 of us, yeah I know). I won't be in the game until afternoon central time due to weather limiting my travel, but then it's game on!!! Well, save for a trip downtown to drop Lucette off for some big awards thing or another.

Cheers!

Honesty
High Council

Awards?  Lucette?  Wait a minute, what big award is Lucette getting?

Officer
Lucette
Officer Emeritus

Lol, no awards for me. Just watching canadian celebrities get them

Badkitty

I'm rolling an ESO toon right now on Daggerfall Covenant based on the other threads here. "Shinjii" (Khajit NightBlade)

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Finally got a chance to peruse that article. Good find, Lucette!

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

For folks who grew up on mmorpgs (like me) and never "got into" first person shooters and the like, one of the things both ESO itself and most of the guides forget is that the key-mouse conventions of video games are NOT intuitive.

In ESO, you can recognize fellow WoW players:  they are the ones who draw their weapons and look (or shout) agressively at lamp posts, dust motes, and poor innocent shop keepers.  Basically, you have to retrain your fingers in using the mouse and keyboard.  I find it very wearing as well, because I can't just move from keyboard to mouse and back again to prevent my hands from getting overly stressed in one position.  One of these days, I'll take the time to see if I can do some serious remapping of the binds, but, for those as ignorant as I of the current conventions (Maybe I'm the only one here, but... just in case...) I'm writing this down.   It's the Very Simple Version; there's more - and the game does come with tips.  But some of those come and go so quickly (even in the starting prison) that you may not be aware that the game just told you Something Important.

Visually:  Try to get used to expressionless faces and a grey palette.  Tinted... but still very grey.  Otherwise, nice.  Animation is very good.

Lag:  a definite problem around PC populations.  It feels like you're d-c-ing.  Usually you aren't; but it sure feels like you are.

Basic Useability

Move with W, S, A, and D.  Even I figured that out. <wry smile>  Camera AND direction of movement is controlled by direction of your mouse.  VERY annoying.

Fighting:  L mouse button

Shield:  R mouse button

Blocking Special attacks:  R & L mouse buttons together

E key is your friend for interacting with the world

R key makes what you find yours (picks it up)

To actually equip, you have to find the object in your inventory, mouse over it for the menu which will include "equip"

No names above people's heads mean you have to mouse around to locate an NPC who has been mobbed by PCs.  Takes patience. Particularly in a popular bank. <sigh>  There are no naming conventions, that I've noticed, that help distinguish PC from NPC. If the mousing gives you an E-in-a-square prompt, it's an NPC.  If you get an F-in-a-square, it's a PC.  If mousing gives you no prompt at all, it's just a decorative spear carrier.

Basic Interface Access

"Esc" key gets you Settings, et al.  Very useful in controlling sound levels, windowing, etc., of course.

Any of the associated keys (I use "O" or "I" (Inventory) or "<apostrophe>" (mail) or "C" (Character)) will bring up a line of Interface icons at the top of your screen... which includes Help.  Once I found that, I just sat and read everything.  It's too much to memorize unless you don't need to read this, but at least it helps when you're completely stuck.  However, not all the help text was properly proof-read. <sigh>  Their testers clearly grew up on solo console games and didn't bother with noting "place holder text" that needs updating. <wry smile>

It helps that Inventory and Map uses the same key conventions that we're familiar with: "I" and "M".  Maps provide instructions in how to use them; check the bottom of your screen.

You don't need a mailbox for mail... but you can't send or open mail when you're dead.  You can, however, deal with Notifications (invites to group, for instance) when you're dead.

"C" brings up your character window... but it also scatters other information around the screen, e.g. your level will be shown in the top left corner of your screen.  Don't focus only on the obvious "window" a key brings up, if you're having problems.

Misc

Out in the world it feels like Ungoro Crater: there's lots of stuff to "E" and "R".  When you run out of inventory space, blame my husband.

Joining the mage and fighter guilds (as mentioned elsewhere) will bring a great starting boost to your gold supply.  Do it.  The quests involved can be ignored until later.

Happy gaming!

Topic locked