Forums > General > Public Discussion > Warbringers: Jaina

Warbringers: Jaina

Topic List
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Firemane

Say what you want about the game itself, but whoever is in charge of the hype machine for WoW keeps knocking it out of the park. The music in this video is amazing.

Also, Jaina is a bad ass. I'm just saying. (Plus I just like defending Jaina against Lierra's irrational dislike of her.)

;)

Edited by: Anonymous on 11/23/2018 - 02:00 Reason: Topic autoclosed
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

Agreed it's amazing, but incredibly sad.  Jaina's turning against her father in his attempted genocide was one of the heroic acts of the age.  She then has to walk a fine line being that hero throughout the other turns of the story.  Now she's turned into just another "must get vengeance" character.

AdministratorOfficer
Turin
Officer

Mark my words, she will be betrayed by her own people or by some part of the alliance before she sees reason again.

Firemane

Well, first of all I reject the premise that she needs to "see reason." She's more reasonable now than she's ever been. She's quite possibly the most powerful mortal on Azeroth and she's restrained herself through events that would have broken many others. The fact that she's held back as long as she has speaks to how reasonable she is.

I don't think the Alliance will betray her (for one thing, Blizzard doesn't write the Alliance that way), and she already knows she's not very popular on Kul'Tiras so it would be hard to call any action they take against her a betrayal. I do think in the end she will strike a balance between the pacifist she once was and the vengeful wraith she has become, but not through betrayal. The story is beginning to emphasize the notion that not everyone in the Horde is like Garrosh and Sylvanas, up to and including the likes of Varok Saurfang and Baine Bloodhoof. There will be some event that will cause Jaina to see that, and she will put away the broad brush she carries now for the Horde.

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Some of that video felt a little disjointed to me; but overall I enjoyed it. :)

Elentur

The music was the best part of the video for me.  We're finally seeing the "hero -> broken hero -> returned hero" cycle come around for her.  I find it interesting it's focused on her and her father with regards to the Orcs, and not that little manabomb incident at Theramore... 

I'm really not a fan of how they've moved from full animated movies to this style, which they introduced in Diablo 3.  I'm sure it's quicker to produce, but it feels... less to me.  More survival horror than epic fantasy.

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Pretty sure they started this with the story shorts near the end of Pandaria. The ones about the emperor.  

Personally, I don’t mind this style. It’s kind of nice to have them doing different things. The fully animated stuff is awesome too, but in this instance I do kind of prefer quantity to the quality. Though if I could have both I would. :)

Elentur

Yea, that's about the  first time we see the style in WoW.  They started doing it with D3 shorts as well around then.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

<nod> Blizz is definitely doing 2 different styles of "animated shorts".  They've definitely not given up on either of them.  But they certainly are now paying a whole lot more to the people doing the "full animated (computer rendered) movies" than they are to the people doing the Warbringer "stop action photography" animations.  The former is no doubt because that's what people are coming to expect in computer movies.  

Still, part of me believes that the latter started as an attempt to get more use out of some of the concept art that gets produced for each expansion.  For that reason it's far more "moody" and less "action-oriented" than the computer-rendered stuff (which, as in big screen movies, continues to improve by leaps and bound).

All that aside, I LOVED the music for "Warbringer: Jania".  It's a haunting ballad... and certainly as gripping as the "For the Horde" song that has been playing at the Faire for lo, these many years.  From my prejudiced point of view, I have to admit to being thrilled that the Alliance is getting some "music love" at long last.

Topic locked