Forums > General > Public Discussion > Nathanos...

Nathanos Blightcaller

Topic List
19 posts / 0 new
Last post
High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

Anybody have an estimate on how many times we’ve killed that guy?  I mean, given we started killing him in vanilla and it seems like we haven’t stopped since .  He’s had so many “setbacks” he makes Kael’thas look like a quitter...

Edited by: Anonymous on 05/23/2019 - 10:00 Reason: Topic autoclosed
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

Why, zero of course.  He’s strong enough to fight Malfurion and an empowered Tyrande to a draw.  No way we could kill him.

Aeth
High Council

And yet another joins the pantheon of 1HP “Enough! I tire of this” stun-us-and-teleport-away jerkfaces.

High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

Something about the fact that I had just been doing the Darkshore pre-quests, final objective "Defeat Nathanos Blightcaller"... then went on to a guy who is sitting at the beginning of Legion, who did some chain where the Forsaken attacked our airship, final objective "Defeat Nathanos Blightcaller"...

And I definitely remember killing him in vanilla just to get the quest out of my log.  Clearly that was just a setback.  

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

Can I please have a 'stun and teleport-away-from everyone attacking me'?  That sounds like SUCH a good power!

Honesty
High Council

I’m trying to envision Lierra as an evil mastermind with that power...

Firemane

Nathanos is going to die, and soon(TM), at which point Sylvie will become well and truly unhinged.

And in order to restore faction balance Jaina will be pulling the "stun and teleport away" trick in Dazar'alor, much to Lierra's chagrin.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

Blightcaller hates us.  So the power makes no sense for him.  He wants us dead.

Jaina is supposed to be our friend and ally.  Think of the number of times we've saved her across all expansions.  Yet - forgetful mage-like - she STILL casts teleport instead of portal, and expects us to catch up with her at the designated meeting point.  When she doesn't just leave us to die.  I've finally grown to like her after all these years, but she's still that head-in-the-clouds friend who, despite all the joshing folks give her, has never yet twigged to how annoying some of her habits are.  (Hm.  I wonder how annoying MY habits are?)

Firemane

In fairness to Jaina's Dazar'alor incarnation we'll be playing the role of the Horde in the fight where she peaces out before we can kill her, so we're not really "friends" in that particular encounter. How does Lierra's transmog look as an Undead female?

You need to stop being mad at her for the non-canon Mt. Hyjal fight. ;)

Honesty
High Council

Aw, I wasn’t going to tell her that until we got there.  )

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

WHAT????

Honesty
High Council

Um...well, you see, er, in the last 3 bosses, we don't kill them.  We see the story from the Horde's point of view.  Which means we are all changed into Horde.  With their racial abilities.

We not only have to defeat Jaina, we have to free Nathanos as a part of it.  (

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

No.  nononononono.  Not Lierra.  No.  If she won't go shadow and even resists disc, how in the world do I persuade her to go Horde?

Honesty
High Council

Well, it’s not her.  She’s watching what the Horde did.

I can sort of understand why they are doing this.  You can’t put someone like Jaina into a raid and mirror her powers onto someone Hordeside.  And they can’t have Horde fight Jaina, Alliance fight Nathanos, and have the two different power sets be equally difficult.  There would forever be complaints that one side had it easier than the other.  This way, also, both sides see the same thing: which major characters are dead, which are wounded, who did what.  (As a side note, apparently the Chronicles give a canon of which side beat which raid; this way, they don’t have to do that.)

So, I understand it as a storytelling device...but as WoW bills itself as a RPG, I don’t like it because I’m not playing my character, I’m playing someone else.  Temporarily watching over someone else’s shoulder.  Here’s this unnamed Horde rogue stabbing Jaina in the back, a guy I’ll never meet and never have a chance to kill.  Oh, well, at least I’m not being mind controlled.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

But even my little Hordie doesn't like Nathanos.  He is heartless.  Who really wants to free him besides Sylvanus? ... and no one with honor believes in her any more.  

(The Player here agrees completely with Honesty's assessment.  Including that I hate not playing my character.  This will be more like following the Illidan storyline in Legion and seeing the Black Temple fight from his point of view.  A cute trick, but it doesn't use any of the skills _I_ have built up.  How can there be any sense of success?  Just a distasteful feeling of wanting to get out of here asap, and wipe the unpleasantness from my skin.  Sorrysorrysorry.  I really DO hate not being allowed to play my character.  I'll shut up now.)

Firemane

The Illidan thing I actually enjoyed, since it was a solo thing told in flashback, and we are actually playing as a major lore figure which can be fun from time to time. and it didn't really advance the story line. Plus seeing NPCs like Johnny Awesome in the "raid" were hilarious. The brief trips back in time to be the Highmountain Tauren guy during Legion WQs were equally innocuous. I'm actually okay not using "my" skills in those situations, as I'm in fact being someone else for a few minutes, and they were pretty short little vignettes so no big deal.

This though is an actual raid, which is where a lot of the major plot advances happen. But Firemane isn't really present for that, instead she'll be "watching" an Undead Female mage who will do the same things that Firemane does (which for me is more unsettling than having Illidan's powers when I'm being him). Plus I dislike the Undead Female casting animations. Plus Firemane works really hard on keeping her skin soft and moist, since throwing fire around tends to make your hands dry and scaly. The thought of having a Forsaken complexion gives her night sweats.

Honesty
High Council

Lol.  I shall now always think of Firemane moisturizing after each fireball cast.

(And I imagine arcane is just as bad, makes your hair stand up and gives you split ends.)

High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

Don't worry, Janthun will be there with Soothing and Renewing Mist.  And I guess he gets to stay in his own body?

Honesty
High Council

Yes, Pandarians stay Pandarian.  It’s not true that you all look alike.  )

Topic locked