Forums > General > Public Discussion > Not everything...

Not everything lives forever on the Internet

Topic List
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

The release of Classic has caused a lot of arguments about how much damage mobs did back in the day.  Most people agree that Classic is accurate as to patch 1.12, the final patch in vanilla, but there is a lot of disagreement about what changed between 1.12 and earlier patches.

What is fascinating to me is the lack of hard evidence. People point to blurry vanilla era videos.  Apparently of the probably hundreds of thousands of people who fought Ragnaros back in the day, none of them saved a combat log. Not even Blizz has a backup.

Edited by: Anonymous on 02/06/2020 - 19:00 Reason: Topic autoclosed
Elentur

This isn't new to the old(er)-timers here, but I worked for Blizzard from 2010-2012.  On the internal IT team.  The fact they could get the vanilla codebase and art assets from 2004-ish backups amazes me.  I remember having to pull those back in 2011 for a project, and there was lot of consternation about the availability of some (ie. did they have them still??)

I doubt Blizzard keeps every boss kill's combat stats in a database.  Storage is "cheap' but not *that* cheap.

AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

The earliest combat logs I still have a copy of is from 2007 (7/15 to be precise) in Gruul's lair.  This is back in the days of WWS (Wow Web Stats) which preceeded WoL (World of Logs) which preceeded the current WCL (WarCraft Logs).  The file format has changed greatly, so the current parsers can't read them...but the very oldest ones were in a kind of chatty human-readable format.  Here's from the end of the log:

7/15 18:42:27.312  High King Maulgar hits Eloris for 8353. (crushing)
7/15 18:42:27.312  Eloris hits High King Maulgar for 360. (glancing)
7/15 18:42:27.343  High King Maulgar is slain by Eloris!
7/15 18:42:27.750  High King Maulgar dies.
7/15 18:42:27.750  Eloris dies.

Elentur

Looks like a perfect ending for Trivial.... not so much Eloris, but I hear it was just a flesh wound and Lierra patched it up, all while passing her Canadian citizenship test orals.  "Sorry!"

High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

I doubt Blizzard keeps every boss kill's combat stats in a database.  Storage is "cheap' but not *that* cheap.

I'm just surprised they really don't have even one combat log from those days.  That wouldn't use up much storage.  

There has been a lot of exaggeration about what we didn't have back then, but one thing at least this guild didn't have was Warcraft Logs or the equivalent.  As H says we started using it in BC.  Now I see guilds posting Rag kills where Rag melees the tank for only about 650 damage and the tank just hit 60 one no-life day ago (i.e. 1-2 weeks for a normal person).   I'd love to know if Rags always hit like that.  I recall people back then insisting we needed more gear... 

I remember that Maulgar log.  As I recall, most of the people who pulled high dps were dead because the tank was and they were right below him.  By the time he worked his way down to me he was toast :)

High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

The file format has changed greatly, so the current parsers can't read them

I looked at one of the guilds who posted an MC log from classic.  Thought "Wow that's a lot of dead hunters".  Then I realized it really couldn't tell the hunters had feigned death :)  

Elentur

I suspect "Classic" isn't quite the same as Vanilla.  Elemental Resist gear was HUGE back then (though I haven't seen if you still need it now, my sub is expired.)  Did they keep mages frost-required?  Are paladins screwed w/ buffs every 5 min on 40 people?  All the "fun" from Vanilla :)

Honesty
High Council

Classic is very much vanilla as of 1.12...which did have a lot of fixes, but all the headaches you mention )

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

Eloris, _I_ remember when I was a newbie raiding healer in Vanilla that _I_ could not tell a Hunter "feign death" from a real death.  I'd panic each time a hunter went down, thinking I hadn't been healing hard enough.  Somehow.

Honesty
High Council

Taking a look at that Gruul log...it looks like both tanks (Heridfel and Aegil) were alive (thanks to a ton of healing from Sarran, Lierra, Mackasang and Dravenflower) at the end.  The problem was Maulgar's frequent Intimidating roar that would fear the tanks, then he'd run off.  He would also arbitrarily charge someone and start whirlwinding.  Eloris got feared a little before the end, that probably preserved you because it meant he decided to beat on someone else.  All melee was dead by the end (I remember having to mostly stay away from his whirlwind anyway), most of the damage at the end was Eloris, Boxflycat, and Kelec...Asherixie was (I think) the mage tank and long dead.

High CouncilOfficer
eloris
Officer Emeritus

Ah, so that was it.  I just remember thinking "haha, I got the killing blow because all the real dps were dead."  

High CouncilOfficer
jonhemlock
Officer Emeritus

I think we're ignoring the real question here. The elephant in the room: Does Ony deep breath more?

Topic locked