Forums > General > Public Discussion > Classic WoW Tabard!

Classic WoW Tabard!

Topic List
17 posts / 0 new
Last post
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

Some of our richer members have offered to come up with the 10 gold to get a tabard design for the guild.  Now the problem is...what should it be?

Some suggestions people have made:

1.  Same as retail

2.  Same as retail, but opposite colors

3.  Same as retail but black and white (if possible)

4.  ?

What are your thoughts?

Edited by: Anonymous on 03/01/2020 - 13:00 Reason: Topic autoclosed
DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

I went through the icons available yesterday - using Lierra's dwarf body as model - and I must admit that there are a Great Many icons that a female of her shape would refuse to wear.  And even more that lose their visual identity when molded around the female front.  I really want to avoid those sorts of gaffes, if we can.

There is no simple triangle <sigh>, which I thought might be a nice simple alternative and still harken back to the original Trivial origin as a guild that grew out of the merger of 3 guilds.  The trident we use in retail IS available, but I was hoping to find something simpler; the spikey halo surrounding the trident gives it an extra layer of complexity.  So... looking for something "tri-fold" ended up with the icon that - in the list Blizz presents - falls between the Blasted Tree ( an uprooted tree with no leaves) and the Shiraken (ninja throwing "star").  It's 3 prongs jutting out from a triangular center with a small hole in the center.  (Perhaps it is someone's alternate shiraken, I don't know.  I've never seen the shape before.)  I also recommend keeping the colours simple so that it will look pleasant over all sorts of other coloured and shaped armor.  I chose white on black.  I'm including a screen shot, but it's only MY  suggestion.

Honesty
High Council

This is the image Lierra referenced:

Gringor

I like the idea Lierra presented. I'm easy!!

Honesty
High Council

I received a vote from Jonhemlock that he wanted the exact same icon as in retail.

Honesty
High Council

More from Lierra (who, by the magic of Magic Wands, was able to show the tabard on human females):

Someone used a Halloween wand on Lierra right before I went to take more tabard pictures.  I decided that the human female form was an ok example (though not as extreme as the dwarf female), so I left it on.

Basically, this gives a range of things on which to vote.  The original could be called Dwarf, then these are: Left, Middle, A, B, C, and E.  Seven choices in all.

The file I’m calling “TriTest” shows a bit more about the icon I selected.  

It shows an even more simplified view:  

The Left view is white on black with a black border.  As simple as a tabard can be.  Essentially, the border doesn’t exist.  (What you think you’re seeing as an even darker border around her neck is actually her shirt under the tabard.)

The Middle view is Yellow on Black with a Black border.  This uses 2 of the 3 Original Trivial colors.

The Right view is a back view, but I decided it was a relatively good approximation of what some dwarf beards would do in cutting off the top of the image.  It happens to be Yellow on Black with a White Border.

Honesty
High Council

The file called “Trident” shows versions of the Classic Trivial tabard.  The chief point I’d like to make across the board is that, on the female figure, the halo around the trident loses its circle shape.  The new shape, in my opinion, distracts from the trident as a main image.

A is the classic Trivial tabard:  Yellow on Black with a dark blue border.  Note that the border MAY clash more with complicated armor than it does with this simple outfit.  It also may disappear into darker colored armor.

B shows Yellow on Black with a Black border.  Probably the simplest tabard achievable with the Trident symbol.

C shows Yellow on Black with a White border.  This is classic heraldic style; the border is clearly visible, which is not always the case with a dark color border.  But the border also seems to infringe on the spiked halo, misdirecting the eye as to the shape of the halo even more than the female body alone does.

E shows White on Black with a White border.  Again an attempt to not clash with colorful armor.

D simply shows the back view again, indicating what might be cut off with a long dwarves beard.  One might note that the three prong aspect of the trident is lost in this view; it could be interpreted as having 5 elaborate prongs.

Officer
Mighty Dorkina!
Officer Emeritus

Id like the same icon as retail but the black and yellow or black and white

thanks for putting these together and asking for feedback. 

Angelfood

B. C-E are are too busy. 

Officer
Aly
Officer

Same as retail, suggested color changes could be nice (or not)!

Alyrra, Hunter - Hyjal Alliance

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

On an adjacent topic, any Trivial member who can afford it can go buy a Guild Tabard.  At the moment, until the guild master actually pays for the tabard design, what you buy will be a plain, designless, light grey tabard.  That will change the moment the guild master buys the design.

If you ever leave the guild, you will again have a plain, light grey tabard.  It will take on the decoration of the next guild you join, assuming that guild has designed their own tabard.  It will, for the forseeable future, require an inventory slot unless you have slotted it into your "paper doll".

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

I'm happy to vote for B as well.

I just wanted people to be aware that Blizzard doesn't seem to think that the 'artistic variation' of wrapping a design around different bodies materially changes the effect of the design.  I've always been thankful that Trivial's trident is mostly recognizeable on the female body.  But it MIGHT be why you don't see as many females as males wearing guild tabards in WoW in general.

Honesty
High Council

So, last call before we push the button.  It looks like the majority are in favor of the classic tabard, so speak now or forever hold your peace.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

I'd like to clarify, Honesty, if I might.  It rather looks to me like the majority vote is for the classic tabard icon (the yellow trident) on the plain black background, with no colored border.   (Or, rather, a black border that basically blends into the background color.)   That differs from what I think of as the "classic tabard" in that it is missing the blue border.

In my tally, there seemed to be:

•     one (and a half) vote for the blue bordered classic tabard (yellow trident).
  •     one vote for the "triangle/tri-test" icon on black.
  •     three (and a half) votes for the trident with the black/no border.  The yellow trident seems to be fine with this group.
Officer
Mighty Dorkina!
Officer Emeritus

Lierra got it down perfectly

as usual

Looking forward to getting my Guild tabard and taking this scarlet crusade one off!

Honesty
High Council

Slipp donated the money for it.  The safe way is to promote Lierra to GM to make the tabard.  As an artist, I make a fine engineer.  )  

Honesty
High Council

And it's in!  Remember, if you buy your tabard where you have higher rep you get a discount. 

Topic locked